By Robert M. Buffington, Eithne Luibhéid, Donna J. Guy
A international heritage of Sexuality offers a provocative, wide-ranging advent to the background of sexuality from the past due eighteenth century to the current day.
- Explores what sexuality has intended within the daily lives of people during the last 2 hundred years
- Organized round 4 significant topics: the formation of sexual id, the rules of sexuality through societal norms, the legislation of sexuality by way of associations, and the intersection of sexuality with globalization
- Examines the subject from a comparative, international standpoint, with well-chosen case reviews to light up the wider themes
- Includes interdisciplinary contributions from well-liked historians, sociologists, anthropologists, and sexuality reports scholars
- Introduces vital theoretical innovations in a transparent, obtainable way
Read or Download A Global History of Sexuality: The Modern Era PDF
Similar historiography books
This quantity brings jointly many very important ancient texts, the vast majority of them (speeches of Themistius, the fervour of St Saba, and facts in terms of the lifestyles and paintings of Ulfila) no longer formerly on hand in English translation. ". .. a compact and intriguing home made package for the scholar of Gothic heritage.
Here's a concise, scholarly, but obtainable assessment of the bright, incorrect, and quarrelsome team of legal professionals, politicians, retailers, army males, and clergy referred to as "the Founding Fathers"--who acquired as just about the perfect of the Platonic "philosopher-kings" as American or global historical past has ever obvious.
Bringing her unique insights into conception and philosophy to undergo upon the debatable query of revision in Irish historical past, Evi Gkotzaridis offers the 1st old and theoretical exam of the trailblazer historians who, from 1938, spearheaded an unpoliticized Irish historical past. Drawing on hitherto unused data, Trials of Irish heritage exhibits how the enterprise to disenthrall Irish and ecu historical past from legit propagandas proved stimulating and tough, yet perilous.
Even though historians speak about each one other's paintings repeatedly, they've been reluctant to list their innovations in regards to the top practitioners of U. S. background. Robert Allen Rutland makes an attempt to therapy this country of items with this assortment named for Clio, the Greek muse vested with the inspirations of historical past.
- What Is Enlightenment?: Eighteenth-Century Answers and Twentieth-Century Questions
- Italian Modernities: Competing Narratives of Nationhood
- Myth And Politics In Ancient Near Eastern Historiography (Studies in Egyptology & the Ancient Near East)
- Opponents of the Annales School
- Authoring the Past: Writing and Rethinking History
- The End of American History: Democracy, Capitalism, and the Metaphor of Two Worlds in Anglo-American Historical Writing, 1880-1980
Extra resources for A Global History of Sexuality: The Modern Era
The text at the top of the mural says “flower of happiness,” a reference to the little girl. 2), the inclusion of a female child represents government efforts to address male-preference. Source: © Lou-Foto / Alamy. 22 Sabine Frühstück Examples abound: Military administrators around the world have routinely investigated conscripts’ patterns of STD infection. Military physical exams have revealed which male bodies were fit and which unfit for that new mode of service to the nation-state, modern war.
In the process, sexuality, especially as a marker of civilizational status, became overtly political. Designed to police pregnancies, abortions, and prostitution, the control apparatus was oppressive wherever it reached. Consider, for instance, the risk of discovery in the case of an illegal abortion or infanticide, a discovery that could lead to years in prison. Imagine the dilemma of a seriously ill prostitute who was legally barred from working but pressed to do so by a greedy brothel owner.
For instance, Dr. Friedrich Salomon Krauss (1859–1938), an Austrian pioneer of sexual ethnology who had traveled from Vienna to Tokyo to collect material for a 1907 book on The Sex Life in Beliefs, Morals, Customs and Common Law of the Japanese (Das Geschlechtsleben in Glauben, Sitte, Brauch und Gewohnheitsrecht der Japaner), adopted the always condescending, sometimes admiring, perspective typical of European folklorists and ethnologists of East Asia, when he observed that: the Occidental looks at Japan through Occidental glasses: He sees moral degeneration where there is in naked reality nothing but unmediated joy of life and irrepressible joy for sexual matters combined with a lack of any kind of hypocrisy.
A Global History of Sexuality: The Modern Era by Robert M. Buffington, Eithne Luibhéid, Donna J. Guy